Why are we looking to buy survival cold weather tents or extreme weather tents for cold weather?
Lovers of outdoor activities have to qualm remaining outside the comfort of their home and close to nature for long spells. While some people prefer the outdoors during calm weather there are a few who are enamored with the idea of camping or hitchhiking even under extreme cold weather.
Campers are not afraid to chill out in open country when temperatures drop or when the heat is intense, they just equip themselves to deal with the rigors of living under the elements. Extreme Weather Tents are an all-important instrument without which camping will be virtually impossible. While conventional tents will suffice under normal weather, using them under extreme cold or intense heat will expose your body system to harm in more ways than you can imagine.
What to Look For When Buying a Severe Weather Tents
There is quite a lot to consider when searching for a camping tent for extreme weather conditions:
Size: A large camping party will require a tent that is large enough to contain everyone.
Weight: The weight of the tent also matters. A very heavy tent may serve you well but lifting it can be a problem especially if you are going hitchhiking. For cross country trips on foot, the lighter is the better.
Prevailing weather conditions: You also have to consider the weather condition of the area you plan to visit and buy a tent suitable for the area.
Price: Of course you also have to consider the cost of various tents. Price doesn’t always reflect value like experienced campers will tell you.
Special purpose tents are very effective in keeping campers safe because they are built to provide ample protection from the elements while providing occupants with all the comfort that they need. For 2019, there are so many extreme weather tents options to choose from but to get the best tents you need to go for one that offers the best value for the price which it is sold for.
We have done our review and compiled a list of best camping tents on sale today. Here are 10 of the best extreme cold weather tents. Some of them are small and can only contain 2 people (2 person tent) while there are others that can accommodate more than that and as much as an entire family of nine (family size tents for camping). There are tents for summer and cold weather. Read on to find a suitable option for you and your family.
1. Big Agnes Blacktail & Blacktail Hotel Backpacking & Camping Tents
The Big Agnes Blacktail is a fancy and helpful camp for you. The fact that the manufacturer has put in a lot of work to create something this beautiful should be commended. Whether you plan for car camping or backpacking, this versatile tent would satisfy you.
The design of this tent prevides extra durability and features multiple pockets for increased organization. For beauty and comfort of 2 people, this tent takes the top spot on this list.
This tent is ready to pitch. The construction with pre-cut guylines and tensioners attached to fly help you to get your tent components together really fast.
- Center Height: 42 in / 107 cm
- Doors: 2
- Floor Area: 29 sq ft / 2.7 sq m
- Footprint Weight: 8 oz / 227 g
- Packed Size: 6 x 20 in / 15 x 51 cm
- Packed Weight: 5 lb / 2.27 kg
- Pockets: 4 interior mesh pockets, 2 media pockets & 12 lightweight aluminum hook stakes
- Trail Weight: 4 lb 8 oz / 2.04 kg
- Fly and floor are polyester with 1500mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- Lightweight aluminum pole system
- Solvent-free polyurethane tape
- Fit for 2 people
- Convenient with double door design
- Available storage and media pockets
- If you like a spacious tent for 2 people, you may need bigger tent
- Not a cheap tent (but the value's worth the money)
2. ALPS Mountaineering Extreme 2 Person Tent
This Alp mountaineering tent is specially made for mountainous regions and windy terrains. Its factory 75D185T Polyester Rainfly is perfect for a windy day out in mountain country.
The lack of a footprint may make frequent entry and exit a little stressful as you wouldn’t want to walk into the tent with your footwear on. For its extra sturdiness, the ALPS is the best mountain tent on this list and it takes the number two position for the best tent suitable for 2 people.
An extreme weather tent suitable for not more than 2 people. Designed to provide comfort in summer, winter and under stormy winds.
- Build Material: Polyester Taffeta
- Height and Weight: 7lbs, 6lbs
- Weather protection: Configured to provide protection during strong winds and humid conditions.
- Suitability: The Alps Mountaineering tent is purpose-built for mountain regions that are prone to strong winds. It is built to accommodate 2 people at a time.
- Easy Entry and Exit: It has 2 large doors on either side so entering and exiting the tent is easy.
- Storage space: 2 large vestibules to keep items safe.
- Large zippers for easy handling
- Comfortable flooring
- Cheap price
- Large doors
- Mesh roof vent increases ventilation
- Poles hardly stand erect during strong winds
- No footprint
3. High Peak Outdoors Basecamp 4 Person 4-Season
The High Peak is a great backpacking tent with a carry bag, which makes it easy to carry. Its aluminum poles are very strong and the way it is designed, it takes only a few minutes to set up.
When faced with an impending storm, be able to set up your tent is very vital and with this tent, you don’t have to be an experienced camper to set it up.
The only issues reported by users has to do with insufficient guy lines and the fact that sometimes, dew may gain entry during wet nights. Besides these complaints, the High Peak is a very good Backpack tent for a family or group of four.
The High Peak is a backpacking tent designed for all weather conditions such as snow, rain, heat, wind, and cold. Designed to accommodate 4 people at a time, it has an 84”x108” floor size.
- Weather Protection: Suitable for all weather conditions and in a terrains
- Suitability: Large enough to accommodate 4 people
- Large vestibule and storage: It has two vestibules at both ends and a “28” inch additional storage space.
- Aluminum poles: 7.9mm shock corded aluminum poles for stability during bad weather.
- Easy to set up
- Great for snowy regions and regions with low temperature
- Easy entry and exit points
- Zippered covers
- Prone to dew leakage
- Very tall people may struggle to lie straight
4. Coleman Sundome Camping Tent
The Coleman Sundome 2-Person Tent is intended for fast and simple setup, allowing you to spend more time enjoying the outdoors. This trekking tent is ideal for camping in warm weather, with wide windows and a ground vent to assist blow warm air up and out to keep you comfortable. The WeatherTec system has proprietary welded flooring and inverted seams to keep you dry if the weather changes, and the robust frame with Insta-Clip pole attachments can withstand winds of 35+ mph. A rainfly with an integrated door awning is provided to help keep rain out of the tent, and the weather-resistant Polyguard 2x double-thick fabric is built to last season after season.
This dome tent has enough space for one queen-size air mattress and built-in storage compartments to keep your things organized. An E-Port allows you to easily bring electrical power inside the tent. The Coleman Sundome 2-Person Tent takes just 10 minutes to put up and packs away compactly in the supplied expandable carry bag, which allows you to peel away the rip strip for simple packing. Two windows provide excellent ventilation and views.
- Dome tent has a strong structure that can resist winds of up to 35 mph.
- Setup takes about 10 minutes. Weathertec system with innovative welded flooring and inverted seams to keep you dry while trekking
- Large windows and a ground vent provide excellent ventilation.
- Measures 7 x 5 feet with a middle height of 4 feet
- Very spacious
- Ample Storage space
- A perfect family camp tent
- Really no notable con except for its price which some may consider steep.
5. Core 9 Instant Cabin Tent
The Core 9 takes the top spot for the best large size tent for large groups of 9. This family tent is bigger than it actually looks from the outside. It has enough storage space inside and for safety and health, the manufacturer has installed enough vents to allow for free air flow and outflows.
Its structured mesh ceiling is also great for ventilation too. Same goes for its H20 advanced anti-moisture technology. It appears that a lot of thought has gone into making this tent safe and usable so it ticks all the boxes of a large family size tent.
The only complaint some may have about the Core 9 is carrying it around due to its weight but that is to be expected due to its large size. One of the best family size tent there is.
This extra-large tent is suitable for 9 people and has extra room storage space with an advanced ventilation system. Is the best tent for rain and wind.
- Build Material: Durable 68 D Polyester 600mm hydrostatic rating.
- Weather protection: Protection from rain and wind
- Weight: 30.5lbs
Advanced H20 Block Technology: This tent has an advanced block system that keeps moisture out while occupants and housed in safe and dry. The system is very effective under torrential rainfalls and severe winter.
Lightweight: The Core 9 is amazingly lightweight for a tent it’s size and capacity.
Proper cents: The vents are strategically located at vital points to aid airflow. The vents are designed to draw in cool air from the air intake vents on the ground and hot air escape through a structured large mesh ceiling
Removable Mesh Ceiling panels: The tent has a detachable mesh ceiling that can be removed to let in the fresh air and to view the skies even while inside. It has an extra wide tape sealed to the fly fabric to keep wind and rain out.
Suitability: Can accommodate up to 9 people at a time. Good for family picnics and camping.
Detachable room divider: It has a detachable room divider for extra privacy. Makes it look like mini rooms within the tent.
Time-saving instant set up: The structure is purpose-built to ensure a quick set up. The accessories come fully packaged and can be easily set up.
- Easy to set up and take down
- Sufficient storage space for an entire family
- Proper ventilation system
- The H20 technology keeps moisture out
- Very durable family tent
- A bit on the heavy side
- May appear claustrophobic with the privacy dividers on.
6. Featherstone Backpacking Tent
The TNH outdoor 2 person camp makes our list of small size tent because it incorporates all the elements that a good camping tent should have.
Its single pole structure is well thought out as it makes setting it up easy for even the most inexperienced camper. Suitable for summer and spring seasons, it would have been nice if it had a footprint but a great tent all the same.
TNH is a single aluminum pole structured tent with a spacious interior convenient for 2 people. Made from Eco-friendly materials.
- Build Material: Polyester
- Weather Protection: For wet conditions
- Weight: 4.6 pounds
- Set up installation: Very easy to set up because it uses a single pole structure that is easy to fix the stakes and guy lines too.
- Safety: The materials used are sourced from Eco-friendly materials to ensure safety and ample protection for users who suffer from allergies.
- Suitability: Great for all occasion during summer and spring. Suitable for traveling, backpacking, and camping.
- Waterproof: Keeps the rain out. Durable materials made from safe materials
- Reasonable price
- Easy to set up
- Keeps you dry and warm
- Lacks a footprint
- A little heavy for its size
7. Clostnature Lightweight 2-Person Backpacking Tent
The Clostnature is truly lightweight and is one of the least heavy tents for its size and capacity. The 210T Polyester makes it a camper’s delight for windy mountainous terrains.
It is always great to have extra accessories in case of emergencies and should you go for this tent, the extra accessories contained in the emergency kit is something you will find quite handy.
It is easy to set up but has too many stakes which may require a little longer to fix all in compared to other tents of the same build. A good tent overall and rated a close second to the Alps Mountaineering Extreme weather tent for tents suitable for windy regions.
An outdoor gear brand by 3 Mountaineers for 2 persons for both cold and hot conditions.
- Build material: 210T Polyester Rainfly with PU 5000 Coating
- Weight: 51lb802
- D Shaped Doors: 2 large D Shaped Doors on either side
- Schematic structure: Heavy-duty aircraft grade aluminum pole with a high interior length of “7’3” with aluminum stakes to hold it in place.
- Emergency repair kit: It comes with an emergency repair kit for the pole.
- Accessories: 1 carry bag, an inner tent and a Fly Kit.
- Waterproof design
- Easy to set up
- Extra accessories
- Extraordinary design
- Sufficient internal space
- No footprint
- Too many stakes
- The slim metal pieces pops out sometimes
8. Coleman Montana 8 Person Tent for Camping
When comparing large size tents that provide all the comfort of a large group or family needs, Coleman Montana scores a perfect draw with the Core 9 Instant Cabin.
The 3 queen sized airbeds are quite appealing as well as the door awning. A little more could have been done about the vents but the weather Tec System is effective in keeping water out when it rains and the morning dew.
It can get a little hot when the weather is humid but keeping the windows open lets in the fresh air. A great product for those camping in large groups.
An 8 person tent with 3 queen size airbeds and an extended door awning to protect shoes from moisture.
- Build material: Made from Polyester
- Weather protection: Rain and Snow
- Weight: 26.2 pounds
- Suitability: Family camping
- Storage: Large storage room for a big group or family
- Airbeds: It has 3 queen sized airbeds for three occupants
Weather Tec System: Its waterproof weather system prevents water from coming in during a torrential downpour.
Extended door awning: It has enough extended door awning to protect your footwear from getting wet and to protect the interior from sun rays if the door is left open.
- Very Lightweight
- Cheap price
- Very easy to set up
- Door awning is a great design piece not found in many other tents
- Effective waterproof design
- Insufficient stakes for extensions
- Can get hot during the day or at night when the weather is hot
- Not suitable for stormy rain and wind weather
9. Hewolf Camping Tents 2-4Person - Instant Tent
It is designed to let air in which and not necessarily to trap air inside. The zippers also pull the nylon along sometimes so you need to be a bit more careful with. A very good tent for warm weather camping.
The Hewolf is a tent with a Hexagon structure made secure with six poles and a spacious vestibule. It comes with a Rainfly and insect mesh windows.
- Build Materials: Oxford Polyester with Waterproof and UV Protection
- Weight: 11.6 pounds
- Weather protection: Keeps rain out. A great option for spring camping
- Suitability: Accommodates 2-4 people with extra storage space
- Big interior space
- Can be erected quickly due to its automatic design setup
- Suitable for warmer weather
- Zippers are a bit sticky when zipping up or down
- Hard to keep the aluminum poles straight
- Not so great under freezing temperatures
10. Weanas Professional Backpacking Tent 2 3 4 Person
Weanas professional has all the essential features a Backpacking tent should have. The fact that it has reinforced aluminum poles makes its lightweight a huge surprise.
No matter the level of rainfall, the rainfly will keep the rain out and it is also windproof so you have nothing to worry about when camping in windy regions.
It has a strong build so stability won’t be an issue but tall people will have a hard time lying straight without their heads and foot touching the tent at both ends. A great buy for the price it’s sold for.
A compact and lightweight backpacking tent with 2 doors and vestibules. Has aluminum poles with wind and waterproof features.
- Build Material: Polyester with a waterproof design and silicone coating
- Weather protection: 2 Triangle Skylights prevents moisture buildup.
- Weight: 1-2 people (4.9lb) – 3-4 people extra size (6.4lb)
- Strong structure: This tent has a very strong structure with reinforced aluminum poles and strong pegs
- Waterproof and windproof: Built to protect occupants from the rain and wind.
- Fastening Clips: Plastic buckles and ultra-light plastic clips to hold shades in place
- Ventilation: It has a scientific ventilation system and high-density mesh. Keeps insects out.
- Suitability: This tent with a maximum capacity of four is great for both winter and spring.
- Lightweight: With a maximum weight of 4.6lb for the extra-large size, it is very light and easy to carry.
- Rain resistant
- Durable and long lasting
- Compact and light
- Great price
- Its L-shaped size makes it easy to stretch when lying down
- Too small for tall people
- Stakes tend to bend when hammering them into the ground.
11. Pacific Pass 4 Person Family Dome Tent
Your stability throughout your whole camping trip will be ensured by the high-quality materials used in the construction of the Pacific Pass camping tent. This will allow you to put more of your attention into creating memories. The rain sheet is long-lasting and will prevent water from getting inside your tent as well as any belongings you may have stored inside.
Enjoy the convenience of mesh pockets within the tent for storing smaller items, as well as a hook at the peak of the tent for hanging a camping lantern. Choose a tent from Pacific Pass that is simple to put up and transport for your next camping excursion.
- Set Size：9 x 7 ft and 60 inches tall
- Sleeping Capacity: 4-person
- Packaged Weight: 8 lbs
- Material: 190T polyester with 63D and 1500MM water-resistant fabric
- Number of Doors: 1 Door
- Pack Size: 24.4 x 6.89 inches
- Large capacity up to 6 people
- For extreme weather - super hot or super cold
- Long-lasting material
- Beautiful design
- Last for long time
- Can be set up by 1 person
- High price
- Not so compact. Best for car camping.
12. Chillbo CABBINS 2 Person Tent for Camping
The Chilbo is a fancy camp tent that is just as attractive as it is effective. The fact that the manufacturer has put in a lot of work to create something this beautiful should be commended.
Using this tent in extremely windy areas may not provide the desired result but for a tent its size, it is one of the best tents on sale today. For beauty and comfort for 2 people, this tent takes the top spot on this list.
This top-rated camper’s tent is a crafty piece of art suitable for 2 people (2 person tent). Chilbo Cabbins is suitable for all weather conditions, especially in windy terrains.
- Weather protection: Suitable for all weather conditions.
- Build Material: Polyester
- Weight: 8.5 Pounds
Work of Art: This tent is artistically designed to provide the user with the ultimate camping experience. Chilbo has a sheltered entry point that provides a perfect shade when the sun is up and 2 mesh windows to protect insects from gaining entry. At night its reflective material illuminates the surrounding areas.
Waterproof: It has a 2000mm waterproof width with a welded floor and sealed seams which provide ample protection from moisture overnight and when it rains.
Oxford Flooring: The floor is also protected with standard Oxford Flooring materials which is great protection from the existing ground temperature.
Internal Storage Pockets: Sufficient internet storage space to store items. Two pockets to ensure proper safekeeping of personal effects.
Durability: The Chilbo Cannons is made from durable materials and is long lasting. It has cross wound poles for extra sturdiness and strength.
Easy Access: Accessing this tent is easy due to its 2 large D frame doors at both ends.
- Fantastic design
- Sheltered entry point
- Mesh windows to keep out insects
- It doesn’t have a footprint
- Unsuitable for people who are 6ft and above
- Windows only open from the outside
- Tent stakes are not very sturdy
GEERTOP 2 Person Camping Tent Lightweight 4 Season Waterproof Double Layer All Weather Outdoor Survival Gear for Backpacking Hiking Travel - Easy Set UpView on Amazon
CAMPROS CP Tent-9-Person-Camping-Tents, Waterproof Windproof Family Tent with Top Rainfly, 3 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Easy Set Up, Portable with Carry Bag - RedView on Amazon
GEERTOP Portable 2 Person 4 Season Camp Tent Waterproof Backpacking Tent Double Layer All Weather for Camping Hiking Travel Climbing Mountaineering - Easy Set UpView on Amazon
OneTigris TEGIMEN Hammock Hot Tent with Stove Jack, Spacious Versatile Wall Tent with Snow Skirt, 3000mm Waterproof with Zippered Tent BagView on Amazon
Naturehike Cloud Up Double Layer 3 Person Tent Lightweight Camping Hiking Backpacking Tent (gray-20D Nylon)View on Amazon
4 Persons 5lb Lightweight Tipi Hot Tents with Stove Jack, 7'3" Standing Room, Teepee Tent for Hunting Family Team Backpacking Camping Hiking (Olive Drab)View on Amazon
Gazelle Tents™, T4 Plus Hub Tent, Easy 90 Second Set-Up, Waterproof, UV Resistant, Convertible Screen Room, Removable Floor, Ample Storage Options, 4-8 Person, Sunset Orange, 78" x 94" x 165", GT450SSView on Amazon
Last update on 2022-10-05 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Buying a very useful tent doesn’t take rocket science. You also don’t need to be an experienced camper or a structural engineer to set up any of these tents reviewed above.
Their manufacturers have made it easy for first timers by designing it in such a way that it can be set up in less than 20 minutes by following the user manual. To order for any of them, just click on the links provided and you will be redirected to an order page.
You also need to consider all the factors highlighted in this article when picking extreme cold weather tents For Camping so you don’t make the mistake of buying a tent that is too small or one that doesn’t meet the regional requirement. You also can read more about the lost ways book to have best ideas of how to survive at difficult conditions.